There’s a lot of research out there that says B2B integration can make or break your business. In fact, industry analysts have called out B2B integration as one of the top three critical integration scenarios that businesses face.
B2B integration run by electronic data interchange (EDI) makes it possible to effectively manage your partner network — vendors, suppliers and distributors. While EDI is the most established method for running B2B networks, organizations are facing multiple challenges with this decades-old technology:
- Inflexible, legacy EDI systems that were not built to integrate with new cloud-based applications
- Inability to support business initiatives for mobile applications and API connections
- Complicated troubleshooting and error resolution
- Lack of end-to-end supply chain visibility
- Slow partner onboarding
To learn more about how Boomi’s low-code, cloud-native integration platform can deliver hassle-free integration and EDI management, please attend our upcoming webinar, “Managing Your B2B Transactions in the Cloud.”
EDI Is Great, But…
Studies conducted by a host of organizations like GS1 UK confirm the continuing value of electronic data interchange (EDI). Although the benefits of EDI go far beyond cost savings, the cost savings provided by EDI are impressive. Some examples include:
- On average EDI costs two-thirds less than its paper-based equivalent
- A major American company used EDI to reduced its order processing costs from $38 an order to $1.35 an order
- The European Union reports that by using EDI-enable electronic invoicing it saves $148 per invoice
Beyond costs savings, EDI improves speed and accuracy. By using EDI an American automotive company reduced the time for a key process by 97 percent — from 30 days to 24 hours. EDI also boosts efficiency. The fast processing of correct business documents means less rework, fewer inventory shortfalls and fewer canceled orders.
Moreover, EDI doesn’t just confer operational advantages. It has strategic importance. EDI allows real-time visibility into transactions. This supports faster decision-making and improved responsiveness to customer and market demands. That, in turn, helps businesses adopt a demand-driven rather than a supply-driven business model.
So, with all these benefits, why is EDI often a stumbling block for companies on their path to effective B2B integration? Several reasons.
Creating an EDI network is not a trivial undertaking. It requires EDI, communications, mapping and translation software. Add to this the need for in-depth knowledge of EDI transmission methods, which can require hiring expensive EDI specialists. Organizations also must account for the costs of ongoing upgrades, support and maintenance for traditional EDI systems.
Connect Everything, Engage Everywhere With Your Partners
Fortunately, a new approach is now possible for running trading partner networks. Boomi has pioneered a modern, cloud-based integration platform that greatly streamlines how organizations can run their EDI systems. It’s revolutionary low-code, cloud-based development and management environment offers one-click deployment and zero-effort upgrades. It features:
- A single, unified platform for B2B and A2A (application-to-application) integration, EDI and API management
- Proven, crowd-sourced EDI mappings, which help you quickly onboard new partners
- Re-usable components that simplify and speed up integration
- Comprehensive reporting that speeds troubleshooting
- Support for multiple standards and communication protocols that address varied use cases
EDI is a technology that has proven the test of time and is now more important than ever as digital businesses look to further improve how they interact with their partners. But today’s marketplace is too dynamic for old EDI tools. New cloud integration platforms like Boomi are making it possible for organizations to reap all the advantages of EDI while eliminating the traditional costs and complications of running their B2B networks.
To learn more about how Boomi’s low-code, cloud-native integration platform can deliver hassle-free integration and EDI management, please attend our upcoming webinar, “Managing Your B2B Transactions in the Cloud.” Dell Boomi’s Paul Nuschke and Lois Hunsaker will discuss how you can leverage Boomi to modernize your trading partner EDI interactions.
In this webinar you will learn:
- How to simplify your EDI and billing processes with a unified platform for EDI, application integration and API Management
- How Boomi B2B/EDI management works
- How a large distribution, packaging and manufacturing company uses Boomi EDI to support its trading partners with just one full-time employee
Date: Wednesday, March 14th, 2018
Times: 10am PT | 1pm ET– Save my Spot!
Duration: Approximately 45 minutes with Q&A
Presenters: Paul Nuschke, product manager; Lois Hunsaker, system engineer, Dell Boomi
Can’t attend? No problem. Register for a session and you will receive a recording of the webinar after the event.
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter Follow on Linkedin Visit Website More Content by Charles Waltner